Monday, January 25, 2010

Thank you for everything

Ok, so no pictures of Gabriel on this post... but I promise to put some more up soon... I had kinda a reflective day... so here it is.

St. Gertrude once asked Jesus to heal one of her friends... Jesus responded with this: "You trouble me, Gertrude, by asking me for the cure of your friend. I sent her this sickness as a trial. She accepts it with admirable submission to my will which gains great merit for her, and I thus prepare a more beautiful place in Heaven for her for all eternity."

I think this story is perfect for our reflection on holiness... do we accept everything God gives us with submission to His will? Can we really say, "Lord, thank you for everything?" Because sometimes he gives us stuff that we are not happy with in the moment, but we know is for the ultimate good of our souls.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately while I sometimes watch friends or myself struggle with different difficult things God has given. On the other hand, I also reflect on this when I notice the blessings I have in my life, the amazing miracles God has granted me. Do I respond the same to both? Because ultimately the difficult things AND the blessings are GIFTS. He is so good, so holy, so perfect that He wills all things for our well being, even if we do not see it.

There was a night when St. Monica prayed so hard for her son to not leave on a ship to Italy. She wanted him to be converted so badly and she just knew that if St. Augustine left he would have no chance. She begged the Lord on her knees, with sobs and tears... and Augustine left on that ship in the night. You see the Lord had to say no to her prayer in the moment, so he could say yes to her lifetime plee... for him to be converted. It was in Italy that Augustine met Ambrose and was converted.

We have to trust Him. He knows what He is doing. He makes all things new... all things good.

A beautiful prayer a very holy priest once taught me... and I think written by a saint... I say this every time I receive the Eucharist.

Thanks be to Thee, My Lord Jesus Christ

For all the blessings you have given to me,

For all the pains and insults you have borne for me.

Oh, Most merciful Redeemer, Friend and Brother,

May I know Thee more clearly,

Love Thee more dearly,

And follow Thee more nearly.

Amen.

I think this is all He asks of us every day. A young woman named St. Therese once said something like this (I think I reworded it some... ) If you desire to know God, then it is because you already know Him. And if you desire to love God it is because you already love Him. If you desire to be in His will, then you probably are, at least pretty darn close. He is so pleased with your desire.

This is what He asks of us. To abandon ourselves completely to Him. To tell him thank you for everything and mean it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Background

Voting