Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Story

I have my own now... a story to tell about how my first little peanut entered the world.

It all started last Saturday evening. The back pain had begun and as my instinct told me, I just knew the time was near. Patrick and I finished cleaning out the cars in the midst of the discomfort because I knew the more I was on my feet, the sooner my sweet one would be here. So, finishing our last, of MANY might I add, of cleaning sprees, we finally looked at eachother and said, "We better get to bed fast. We don't know how much time we have!" We slept for about 6 1/2 hours and at about 6am I sat up with some real pain and thought, THIS IS IT.

My contractions were kinda irregular for the first few hours, but quickly turned regular and more intense (about 5 minutes apart) by 10am. At that point we had told the doctor we were coming in and Patrick was finishing packing the car. Fr. Baker had already stopped by to give us Holy Communion and in the middle of his blessing over me, I laughed as I made it through one more contraction! So, we were ready to go.

I stood up to walk out the door at about 10:15am and BAM or should I say GUSH... water broken. I had no idea I was going to have a waterfall come out right there in the dining room, but we did. Needless to say we were delayed some, but soon off to the hospital.

We made it there by about 10:45am and checked in and got the confirmation that yes, I was in labor! They didn't know it, but I wasn't going back home if they told me to. For the next 3 1/2 hours I managed to make it through the contractions, which I must say, I am really proud of now. I didn't know it at the time, but they were the longest contractions my doctor said she had ever seen. They were lasting well over 2 minutes. So, without being boastful I have to say, I am awesome! Ha. After we made it to 6 1/2 cm we opted for the epidural. I couldn't see straight anymore and my body was shaking pretty bad from the pain. We just knew I wouldn't make it through. I had reached my limit. Within 10 minutes the horrid back needle was in (the least painful part of the whole labor) and I was able to rest some.

At this point, like epidurals tend to do, my labor slowed. It took me another 2 hours to make it to 7 1/2 cm when Dr. Barrett decided to dose me up with some pitocin. From there it took no time at all. Even though I was numbed up, within about 10 minutes I told the nurse that this baby was ready to come out. She was like, "Well, I can check you again, but I don't think so." Think again.. this mama went from 7 1/2 cm to 10 cm in 15 minutes. So, we started pushing.

We pushed for one whole hour when Dr. Barrett decided to call the troops in. The NICU had to come because little one decided to poop before he came out and then all the others who would step in for potential problems, etc. Little did we know that once this baby crowned, he was going to stay that way for 30 minutes. His little fist decided to get stuck under his chin and he just stayed. I could tell it was getting frustrating for everyone because we just wanted him to be here, so I told Dr. Barrett between contractions that she was doing a great job. She stopped, smiled and said, "I really needed to hear that," followed by, "Alright, let's get this baby out." I am so grateful she patiently waited because it prevented all sorts of problems (including tearing). So, after an hour and a half of pushing, Gabriel Patrick Bentley decided to join us. It was so funny because Dr. Barrett was holding him in such a way that Patrick could not tell if it was a boy or girl, so she spread his legs and Patrick yelled, "It's Gabriel!"

They handed him over to the NICU and cleaned out his throat and lungs to make sure he didn't swallow any poop... sounds lovely... and within about 5 minutes, they handed him to me. Before I was able to hold him, I could see Patrick across the room watching them as they cleaned him off and got him wrapped up. He was glowing and crying the biggest happy tears I have ever seen. Nothing like the look on the face of a father the first time he sees his son. I will never forget it.

Soon mom, dad, Eric and Mrs. Bentley came in. My brother says that this was his favorite moment. I didn't realize it at the time, but he said I was laughing so loud and crying at the same time. I couldn't believe it. How did he get here? Why do I deserve this? And most of all, God must really adore me to let me be a mom.

We moved to recovery and tried to sleep some. Patrick slept great. I just watched my little miracle through most of the night. What a dream! What an outerbody experience! What a gift!

So there it is. My story which officially initiated me into the mom club. This has been my greatest accomplishment yet.


  1. So wonderful! Thanks so much for taking the time to keep the blog up this way so that those of us across the country can share your story too!

  2. ohh Kristi! everytime I read your blog, I cry! Happy, tender tears for you and your beautiful family. I can't wait to see you all on Saturday. Love you!
    In Christ,

  3. Kristi,
    I love reading and seeing all the pictures - please keep it updated! Gabriel is just too cute. Thinking of you guys this weekend...can't wait for you to come to atl so I can hold him!

  4. hey hey!
    love love loved the story. makes me miss you tons and i can't wait to meet your precious SON. oh man that makes me giddy like you wouldn't believe. let me know if you're ever up for a weekend visit!!! what's your home address??

    love you,

  5. Kristi-I can't believe how cute he is. Thanks for sharing your story. I am still so emotionally raw from my own baby that I of course cried reading it:) Miss you guys! Praying for your healthy recovery!

  6. Kristi,

    Wow...isn't so traumatizing and blissful all at the same time?! But how could it be anything less for such a miracle in the birth of this wonderful little person. ; )

  7. WELCOME to the CLUB! hee hee....Is it possible that he just keeps getting cuter and cuter???? God Bless! Laura Czarka